Saturday, April 2, 2016

Judy Garland took a trolley

Judy Garland took a trolley -- sang about it, too,
back when things moved slower and there was no traffic queue.
Now the tracks, paved over in a mad attempt at speed,
have been relaid to gentle the vehicular stampede.
The sense of dim nostalgia, and concern for dirty skies,
have made the trolley on the tracks an urgent enterprise.
A streetcar named Ambition might attract a lot of fares
if it featured wifi and some padded, comfy chairs.
If I could drive a trolley powered by the city's juice
I'd feel as proud and haughty as that fabled daemon Zeus!
But I am a pedestrian and do not choose to ride
any such contraption that with others may collide.
Give me a peaceful stroll upon the pavements straight and firm;
it keeps my bowels quite frisky (with a bit of raw wheat germ).


No comments:

Post a Comment