Saturday, June 25, 2016

Letter. June 25, 2016

Hey Madel Paddle!
I saw that frog photo of diesel on FB; gads, he's growing so tall and handsome! I wouldn't recognize him.
I'll try to keep this little note from becoming just another one of my Medical Bulletins. It's so dreary to keep writing about my health issues. Suffice it to say that when I get one thing cleared up something else comes along that keeps me inside most of the time. Right now it's the edema and kidney stones. Nuff said.

I've been to see your mother several times this past week. As we discussed over the phone, I'm very concerned about her dizzy spells, especially since she's alone so much of the time. And this intense Utah heat is not helping things any. She doesn't have any ac in her apartment. But she insists she's fine by herself, at least that's what she says when I offer her any help. So I'll just let her be for now.

This past week has gone by pretty fast for me. And I've done pretty much nothing but sleep, read, write, and eat. And drink lots of cranberry juice. My limericks are doing well; more & more journalists are asking me to put them on my limerick email list.

Here's a weird thing that happened last night:
I was watching "Some Like it Hot" on my laptop when I heard terrible screaming outside in the alley. I got my shoes on and went out to find my next door neighbor lady on the ground, having some kind of fit, with her daughter bent over her screaming like a demented banshee.
She was dialing 911 and screaming incoherently at her mother at the same time. I told her to stop screaming, as it was obviously upsetting her poor mother, so she did and finally got through to the medics, who came racing over on their fire truck. I was holding the poor woman's hands, trying to keep her calm and reassuring her that help was on the way, when the daughter pushed me away saying "I don't know who the hell you are, mister -- get away from my mother!" She was obviously hysterical. So I backed off and watched the medics give her mother oxygen and then get an ambulance to take her to the hospital. She's still not back yet this morning.
So much for being a good samaritan; if it ever happens again I'll let the deranged daughter handle it all by herself!

I won't be helping out at the Heritage Festival this year with the Mayflower exhibit, as I've done for the past two years. I just can't stand being out in the heat all day long -- I get dehydrated no matter how much water I drink. And the bathrooms are about a half mile away.

Lately when I've had insomnia instead of reading a book for hours I go into the kitchen and make myself bacon and eggs and toast. Then I'm usually able to get back to sleep. Since I rarely have anything more than a small salad for dinner in this heat, maybe it's hunger that wakes me up in the middle of the night. Anyway, the late night/early morning meal goes down well and seems to help me catch a few more Z's.

Well, I guess that's it.  I gave Sarah the digital camera I bought on eBay several weeks ago so she could take lots of pictures while on Vacation in Oregon. And post them. I figured I was never really going to use the camera much myself. Sometimes I think being around your mother is making me into more of a hypochondriac -- I keep myself shut in, reading articles from the Mayo Clinic about my various conditions. Well, at least so far I'm not spending a fortune on supplements or other nostrums. Your mother takes a seaweed pill that costs $75.00 per bottle, among other things. But I guess I shouldn't criticize her -- we all have our foibles and obsessions. My obsession is to become famous as the re-inventor of the limerick:  How crazy is that?

I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks for the wedding. The last word I had was that Steve still doesn't have his Temple recommend and may not get it in time, which is giving his in-laws fits. I warned Steve, from my own experience, that bishops and stake presidents can't be rushed in these things, and don't like it when they feel pushed. It just makes them slow down even more.

See you in the funny papers.  dad

No comments:

Post a Comment