Wednesday, June 27, 2018

My New Personal Best: 10 Original Limericks in Five Hours




The American Library Association is dropping Laura Ingalls Wilder’s name from a prestigious children’s literature award in order to distance the honor from what it described as culturally insensitive portrayals in her books.
NYT

A writer cannot buck the trend
Of seeing her eminence end
When gatekeepers choose
To downgrade her views
For what she so long ago penned.



The nut harvest’s early this year.
They already start to appear
In front of cafes
With their winning ways.
(I bet they don’t tip worth a sneer.)


A butcher who lived in Marseille
Claimed protestors got in his way
Whenever he carved
A roast for the starved,
And so he removed to Green Bay.



You’re free to be Muslim, my friend;
But traveling here’s at an end.
Without crucifix
We don’t care to mix
With your kind, nor even pretend.






Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Our Congress has reached a ripe age.
They’re getting too old, and not sage.
I think the time right
To tell ‘em “Goodnight!”
And make ‘em retire offstage.


In childhood I ate cottage cheese,
Though telling my mother “Oh please!”
Not artisan-made,
Twas duller than suede --
But now it’s commanding great fees . . .



If spiders can fly, I’ve no doubt
That pigs can dig caves with their snout.
That snakes use chopsticks
And chickens lay bricks
While kangaroos make sauerkraut.


I’m using a new dating app
That makes me a lovable chap.
I’m handsome and rich,
But there’s just one glitch --
The girls somehow know it’s all crap!


We live in a terrible era
When jungles become the Sahara.
If I were a tree
From the tropics I’d flee
And put down some roots in Canberra.



There’s always a headline or two
I love to sit down and review.
This one is a pip;
It sure has got zip.
(If only she’d used a corkscrew . . . )


No comments:

Post a Comment