Friday, December 9, 2016

Your primary tab is empty

"Your primary tab is now empty"
This is the note that I crave
when emails are rising about me,
and all of them I have to save.

The boss has a project a-brewing;
the spouse needs the car right away.
A friend shares a video up link.
The dentist wants me in today.

I start ev'ry morning determined
to clean out my email stockpile;
by noon I am still behind schedule,
 my stomach starts filling with bile.

I'm paralyzed with indecision,
so tempted to hit the 'delete'
to wipe out this online affliction
and go eat a bowl of puffed wheat. 

I yearn for a blackout of power
from nature or nuclear bomb;
or maybe I'll give it all over
and move to a place like Assam. 

I'm up late, replying to queries 
so frivolous I want to scream;
the Internet needs Torquemada
to be its preeminent meme! 

The weekends do not bring abatement;
my smartphone keeps me in the loop.
I get even more dumb malarkey 
from chatty insane nincompoop!

But then comes the notice: I'm laid off.
My emails are caught in a drought.
My inbox is empty and dusty,
and weeds are beginning to sprout.

Oh, for the days when an email
would need a reply PDQ.
Now I'm an internet leper,
whose emails have dwindled to few . . .   



No comments:

Post a Comment