Monday, December 12, 2016

Restaurant Review: El Gallo Giro. Provo, Utah.

Located at 346 North University Avenue, I liked everything about this place except the incessant Christmas muzak they blared out at hungry patrons -- all of it in Spanish. You haven't lived until you've heard a mariachi band doing Silent Night . . .
So let me just get it off my chest right here and now: Holiday music should be confined to funeral homes, churches, and kindergartens. Anyplace else that plays it should be fined and the owners should have their ears cropped.

The service is sure friendly enough. I like being kowtowed to; it warms the cockles of my heart when the peasantry genuflect in my presence. I ordered the pork enchilada special, with fountain drink, for $9.84. Their menu, which is up above the cash register, offers specials for BYU students at $6.00 a plate. This is the only place in Provo so far that I've seen doing this. I wonder why?

The food came fast, was hot, and very filling. There were no culinary surprises or improvisations -- and I'm thinking in just a few more years we can get this same exact quality from a microwave frozen dinner -- so I hope places like El Gallo Giro can come up with something more intriguing so they don't go out of business. Plus, they have a good salsa bar. So I rate it Three Burps. It's a good place to bring the family for Family Home Evening, or to bring a date.


No comments:

Post a Comment