Thursday, February 28, 2019

Photo Essay: Cleaning Out My Freezer

Before


Before


A man living alone, as I do, takes his freezer for granted -- tossing in odds and ends without bothering to label them, in some vague hope that this will provide him some good meals down the road. Today I decided to put my freezer in order -- I had not cleaned it, or even checked it, since moving into this apartment nearly five years ago.

I found, among other things, a half dozen empty baggies, of all sizes. They looked and smelled clean, so I kept 'em. I also found a number of baggies filled with mysterious substances that I do not remember concocting, and will not attempt to decipher, thaw, and eat. To the dumpster with them!

This could be leftover split pea soup -- or a diabolical witch's broth of Paris Green.


I know it's labeled 'Sloppy Joe w/beans' but what KIND of beans? I don't recall making this, since whenever I eat sloppy joes I leave a bloody trail of greasy tomato sauce from my chin to my pants.

I don't know where these came from -- sometimes my neighbors leave strange items at my door in the middle of the night. I'm going to take a chance and keep these for a future casserole.


All cleaned out.


My freezer wilderness reclaimed!


Here is just a partial list of what I decided to keep:
1 can OJ concentrate; six packs of frozen veggies, such as corn and broccoli; a box of Stauffer's Salisbury Steaks; 1 pound of turkey sausage and one pound of ground round; a package of shrimp balls and a package of cuttlefish balls; 1 package of Chicken Jumbo Franks; and an ice cube tray.

I think I'll Bookmark this blog so I can refer to it whenever I am feeling peckish and don't want to go out, or am broke -- both of which happen quite frequently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment