Monday, May 15, 2023

Haiku from Idaho

 


a curtain of rain

obscures the green mountainside --

Road Work next ten miles.


After the disappointing turnout for my makdi on Saturday I wanted to put the obsession for cooking big meals behind me.  Put it in perspective.  See if I couldn't quit doing it cold turkey.  When Amy went shopping Saturday morning and then called to say she would also be getting the tires rotated I took this as a sign we should take a road trip.  So we left Provo for Wendell, Idaho that afternoon to visit her sister's farm.
We arrived at 8:30 that evening, only to discover that Amy's sister had given away the rocker recliner we had brought up last year -- the only comfortable chair for me in the house and where I slept part of each night. Not only that, but the only available bedroom was upstairs, up nearly two flights of stairs.  My knees would not take me up and down those steps more than once a day.  I said nothing, but the stark look of disappointment on my face moved Amy's sister to have one of her football-playing sons pull an abandoned La-Z-Boy out of a storage shed and put it in the living room for me.  I am writing this from the comfort of that chair, happy and grateful to admit being pampered and catered to. I sleep very well in it.
I will cook nothing while we are here.  I'm asking Amy to fix me bacon and eggs for breakfast each morning.  For lunch I want to eat nothing but a can of sardines and a fresh tomato.  Dinner will be eaten out at Thai or Indian places twenty miles away in Twin Falls.
And when we come back to Provo I hope, I pray, that my cooking mania will finally be put to rest. Like Prospero I will break my wooden stirring spoon and throw my cookbooks into the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment