Monday, July 24, 2023

Incident at Hruska's Kolache Shop. Monday. July 24. 2023.

 


we were up at 5;30 this morning and on our way to the rec center by quarter to six. temperature inside the car was 76 degrees.
once home i immediately got my 'poet for hire' sign and went 3 blocks down center street to Hruska's Kolaches -- where I sat in my wheelchair, trolling for poetry commissions.  about an hour in a guy bought me an egg and sausage kolache, but otherwise it was a bust commission-wise.
even though dozens of people who had just finished the temple to temple 5k walk were lined up down the block to get a kolache. so i had a captive audience . . . but they were all philistines. barely looking at my sign.
still . . .  my sign continues to act as a magnet for the local maniacs.  today's loon was a slight young man with light brown hair who stopped to gaze madly at me and then demanded to know if i thought the provo police were sexist pigs.  i chose to ignore him, turning my head away.  he continued to accost me with growing volume and obscenity until he finally became so frustrated at my silence that he slapped me on the face and then hurried away, still yelling about the provo police and filming himself on facebook (he said.)  his actions upset several small children waiting in line with their parents so they began to cry.  no doubt someone will complain to the kolache management about the incident, getting it all wrong and blaming me for the unpleasantness so that the manager will ask me not to ply my wares there anymore the next time i go back.  i'm glad amy and i are going to the temple tomorrow morning.  i'm getting tired of either being ignored with my sign or drawing lunatics to me like flies.
still, it beats working for a living.
the rest of the day will be spent serving a free lunch of pulled pork with rice and cornbread.  Then settling back with amy (who went to springville this morning to bug goat's milk and shop at the walmart) to watch maybe a dozen or so episodes of the blacklist . . . for the second time.  Oh, and amy did the laundry this morning. i'm wearing a diaper now so that she doesn't have to do the whites quite so often.
isn't life wunnerful?
Heinie Manush.

No comments:

Post a Comment