Wednesday, July 12, 2023

The years have caught up with me. (Dedicated to Bill Kole.)

 


Now I bask in the warm light of indolence,
No reason needed, 'cept for senescence.
The years have caught up, as they tend to do,
Finally, I am free to sip my lazy brew.

Gone are the days of nine to five,
Now in languor's arms, I joyfully dive.
Reports and deadlines, they all can flee,
For the years, my friend, have caught up with me.

"Oh, you're a slacker!" they used to chide,
But I've always let such remarks slide.
Now that I'm aged, grizzled and grey,
There's no need for excuses, I dare say.

I bask in the glow of my TV screen,
In sweatpants and slippers, no need to preen.
Years of rushing, all a memory,
Now the years have finally caught up with me.

Unhurried mornings, endless cups of tea,
Books and daydreams, as far as I can see.
Ah, sweet laziness, my jubilant decree,
For at long last, the years have caught up with me.

I'm not lazy, I'm just biding my time,
In the rhythm of retirement, a beautiful rhyme.
Why run and chase, when you can be free?
Thank the stars, the years have caught up with me.

So here’s to the joys of doing nothing at all,
To living life slow, letting the time crawl.
I'm not a slacker, just finally living carefree,
Blessed be the years, for they've caught up with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment