Tuesday, April 3, 2018

And they fell down before me



And they fell down before me, and were about
to worship me, but I would not suffer them . . .
First Nephi. Chapter Seventeen. Verse 55.

Pride will come to visit you, while bringing vanity;
The two of them will swindle you out of serenity.
For pride must huff and puff forever more to keep in shape;
And vanity will make you seek for compliments agape.

The desire to be worshipped, to be thought above the crowd,
Keeps the ears unhearing and the head from being bowed.
Remember that no flattery is ever heaven sent.
It’s made in lurking darkness with a queasy sulfur scent.

Like Nephi I abhor obeisance from my fellow man.
I’d rather be of service to all others, if I can.
The Father of our spirits will not be impressed by me;

I only hope He lets me live with Him eternally.

No comments:

Post a Comment