Monday, April 23, 2018

The Saga of Pointy Pete




With publishers craving stories about critters other than

 ‘the big two,’ writers crank out tales of life with hedgehogs,

 tarantulas and tree kangaroos.  WSJ

“The Porcupine Who Saved Me” is the title of my book;
All about an animal with many a barbed hook.
It shuffled in my tent one day while I was fast asleep,
And needled me so thoughtfully that I yelled out ‘Oh bleep!’

I took the critter home with me to assuage my woe
Over my true love’s betrayal seven years ago.
She left me for the chance to work at ASPCA,
In the Great Blue Hole, Belize, with dolphins and stingray.

I named it Pointy Pete, although I didn’t know its sex;
And learned to back off when its spiky back muscles did flex.
Whenever I had company, ol’ Pete was always quick
To offer each and ev’ry guest their very own toothpick.

Then just when Pointy Pete and I were going to be married,
A Greyhound bus ran over him and he was quickly buried.
But he has left me with the marks of love and true devotion,
Which have become infected and require Walgreen lotion.



No comments:

Post a Comment