Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Private Charitable Foundations Give Lavish Rewards to Insiders


A mutual-fund manager earned nearly $5 million
over eight years from a lucrative side gig. He
was trustee of his business partner’s private
charitable foundation. Another charitable foundation,
set up by a carpet merchant, has millions of dollars
in loans outstanding to the man’s carpet company.
A third paid out more to companies owned by the
foundation president’s family than it gave to charity
in a recent year.   WSJ
I dropped a coin into the cup of some poor soul today,
Standing on the corner like a pitiful old stray.
And straight away a fellow in Italian silk appeared.
Don’t be a fool!” he said to me. “You’re acting mighty weird!”

He grabbed me by the arm and led me to a coffee shop,
And there he told me private charity was such a flop.
The poor do not appreciate the finer things in life
He said while spreading marmalade on muffins with a knife.

He then explained that charity is just another name
For gouging money from the suckers, like a carny game.
I set up an endowment for some trendy thing” he crowed,
And you should see the shekels that come in by the carload!”

Once I have a bundle I begin to loan it out,
Or buy a hundred acres with a stream that’s full of trout.
I get away with murder cuz the tax laws are inept;
So if you are nonprofit, then the books are barely kept.”

My brother takes a large slice, as a consultation fee;
My sister gets a hunk for serving us warm herbal tea.
And if there’s any leftovers, or crumbs we do not need,
We give it to somebody who has got a good newsfeed.”

My eyes were opened by this man’s approach to giving alms,
And I intend to get donations in my sticky palms.
For charity begins at home, but once you think expansion

Then you can keep on stealing till you’ve got yourself a mansion!

No comments:

Post a Comment