Thursday, May 10, 2018

Selling Insurance to Circus Clowns

That's me, bottom right. 1971.



Clown alley was a semi-autonomous state
within the larger world of the traveling
circus.  What goes on in there, who
comes to visit, and why a sudden geyser
of water might erupt onto innocent heads
outside of the alley, are all matters of high
policy not usually discussed with outsiders --
including management and the local constabulary.
While no formal passport was ever issued or
required to enter the Ringling clown alley,
all visitors, by mutual consent, were to be
scrutinized outside of the alley by one of
the veteran clowns before gaining admittance.
 This went for sweethearts, bill collectors,
reporters, pizza delivery boys, relatives,
and insurance agents.
Although I was a committed zany during my working
hours, squirting seltzer and flinging pies with deadly
humor, when I was out of makeup and out of the alley
I was a serious young man.  For one thing, I was
haunted by the memory of my Grandmother Torkildson.
 Before I left to join the circus she had come to our
house and pleaded with my mother for a room in her house,
or even a cot in the garage, as she had so very little to pay
for rent and food.  My mother, with tears in her eyes, had
to turn her down – our house was cramped as it was, and my
father, who attended the Simon LeGree school of Hard
Knocks, did not approve of any relatives besides children
moving in.  I did not want to wind up like that, and
thought the best way to avoid such a melodramatic
end would be to salt my money away in the bank and
invest it prudently.  To that end, I was always ripping
ads out of magazines and newspapers for mutual funds
and whole life insurance, sending away for their pamphlets.
One fine day, when the show was playing Philadelphia,
I was told a visitor awaited me outside the alley, having
passed muster with one of the older clowns.  I thought
it might be a girl I had met at church the previous
Sunday, so I smoothed down my bushy hair (which
I was also using for my clown wig), spritzed myself
with some Old Spice, and hurried out, only to be met
by a shambling figure swathed in a tan raincoat, even
though it was a warm sunny day in the City of Friends.
Turns out that this palooka was with a Philadelphia
insurance company which had received one of my
inquiries. He had been assigned to track me down
and pin me with an insurance policy. He introduced
himself as Dewey Moede with a damp and flabby handshake.
Not knowing any better, I invited him into the alley.
Pulling up a folding chair, he began his spiel while
I applied the greasepaint in preparation for the day’s
merrymaking chores.
He asked my age, where I was born, did I smoke, how
much did I drink, and was I married.  He then did some
tabulations on a sheet of graph paper and produced a
document that he told me indicated I would live to the
ripe old age of eighty and that if I began investing in whole
life right now, to the tune of five dollars per week, by
the age of seventy I would have enough to live a life of ease and
comfort in a broom closet in Miami Beach. Provided there were
no hurricanes.  Or, if I preferred, I could immediately invest
twenty-thousand dollars in an annuity, which I would not
start to collect on until the age of sixty-four, and could then
look forward to three square meals a day, if I didn’t mind two
of those meals being cheese and crackers.
While I found his logic interesting, I couldn’t quite see myself
committing to five whole dollars every week.  At the time
my salary was ninety-dollars a week, and I was already putting
ten of that away in a savings account each week.
I was about to voice my hesitation when there was a loud bang
behind us.  It was just Spikawopsky, making black gunpowder
squibs and testing them out to make sure they were efficacious.
 I explained this to Mr. Moede, because he seemed suddenly
rather nervous.  I told him we went through at least two
dozen exploding squibs each show, and I had never lost more
than a few singed eyebrow hairs.  He began fiddling with his
graph paper again.  While he did, I went outside of the alley
to help Swede Johnson with the new flamethrower we had
installed in the stove we used for the baker’s gag.  A nozzle
blew powdered coffee creamer over a candle flame –
creating quite a spectacular tongue of fire, about five feet
long.  It was Mr. Moede’s misfortune to come hunting me
just as Swede squeezed the bellows after I had lit the
candle.  The resulting roar of fire caught the insurance
agent completely off guard, and before I could explain
that the flame was relatively harmless – producing minor
blisters only – he was galloping up the exit ramp of the arena,
tossing aside crumpled graph paper and blank insurance forms
like confetti.
Oh well, I thought to myself, there’s always more insurance
agents – and Sunday School girls – in the next town. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment