Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Prose Poem: Drunken Noodles.

 



I have fed too many people for free.

I'm was tired; burned out; grown weary of 

the perfunctory 'thanks' and lack

of eye contact.

So I'll quit doing public service meals

and start to lunch out.

I went to a Thai place to have drunken noodles.

There's no alcohol in them, but they wobble

on your fork.

Thai restaurants are famous for their slow

service. But the slower the service, the

better the food.

So it didn't bug me too much when it took

a half hour for my noodles to arrive.


But then I couldn't block out the conversations at 

the other tables while I ate.

People much younger than me, in white shirts and

blouses, with tattoos on their arms,

were talking about IPO's and

turnover rates --

not about the beautiful spring

day outside or how good the food 

tasted.

And it came to me again; that I'm not

part of the modern human race anymore.

I am a relic.

 I looked in the mirror

in the Men's Room and saw a pudgy old

geezer in a wide brimmed straw hat with

his pants held up by suspenders --

who yearns to talk about his collection 

of Archie comics when he was a kid

and the awfulness of his mother's 

tuna casserole on Friday nights.

Tomorrow I'll make the old ladies

vegetable turkey soup in my slow cooker.

At least they don't have any tattoos.  




No comments:

Post a Comment