Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Prose Poem: Eat like a monkey.

 



One morning as a child

at the breakfast table

my dad told me:

"You eat like a monkey."

That's why, telescoping back in

on myself,

I am so immersed in food.

What else does a monkey have to do

 all day up in a tree?




I ate a gobbet of beef today.

Peruvian beef swimming in 

cilantro sauce.

With rice and beans.

In a dull dark dream place.

It was not really a place to eat,

but a place to dream.

I don't know how they stay in business.

In the six years I've lived in this neighborhood

I've never seen that place crowded.

They must spin straw into gold.

Or fix parking tickets. 




In my food dream I was 

sailing a gravy boat, full of

brown gravy of silken texture.

We ran aground and the tanker leaked

gravy all over things like ice cream

and radishes. 

The environmentalists were up in arms,

so I slipped them some fried yucca 

for hush money.

Then drank my Inca Cola,

which tastes like bubble gum.



I wasn't chewing on food;

I was chewing on dreams.

And when I woke up I had

finished my plate, 

all except one piece of fried yucca.

That stuff sticks in my craw

like the Ever Given.

I left the waitress a one dollar tip.

And Amy's H & R Block business card.

Now that she's moving to Omaha.

To live with the monkeys.




No comments:

Post a Comment