Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Narrative Poem: When Chives Ruled the Earth

 



The birds come to our feeder, a few at a time.

There are proud robins. Quirky goldfinches.

Arrogant cardinals. And shy bluebirds.

The dull brown sparrows try to feed, too.

But are chased off. Not by the birds, 

who are too proud to do their own dirty work.

They are chased away by the squirrels.

And where the birdfeed spills on the ground

chives grow. Willowy and vibrant green.

At least, I think they are chives.

I hope they are chives.

Because I put them in the soup

I serve to strangers who stop at my door

for a free meal.

I have a sign put up on the front lawn:

"FREE MEAL TO ANYONE LONELY AND SAD."

Lots of people show up.

So I make a big pot of bean soup

or chicken soup each day.

And sprinkle in freshly diced chives.

Funny, though. 

I never see any of these lonely or sad

people more than once after they've had

my soup.

It must give them the courage to carry on

and go forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment