Saturday, September 2, 2017

I Used to be a Circus Clown



I used to be a circus clown -- at parties oft requested.
But now if I put on greasepaint I just might be arrested.

I loved to take a pratfall and to throw a pie or two --
Today such actions label me a terrorist cuckoo.

I never thought I’d see the day when clowns became so scary.
How did Bozo transform into creepy adversary?

I think we’ve lost the aptitude to belly laugh our way
Out of existential dread and general dismay.

Instead of celebrating all the silliness that life
Hands us on a platter, we must concentrate on strife.

And make a monster of a clown, and make a mock of God --
And all our happiness and cheer declare to be a fraud.

A people who prefer to wallow in sadistic gore
Are Coliseum-bound to watch the Christians die once more.




No comments:

Post a Comment