Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Monkey Gets Money for Famous Selfie



In 2011, Naruto, a curious 6-year-old monkey in Indonesia, peered into a camera lens, grinned and pressed the shutter button on the unattended camera. Little did the endangered crested macaque know that he may have been providing for his future.
The selfie of his bucktooth smile and wide amber eyes made Naruto an internet celebrity. But the widely shared image became embroiled in a novel and lengthy lawsuit over whether the monkey owned the rights to it. Naruto lost the first round in federal court in California in 2016, but won a victory of sorts in a settlement on Monday for himself and his friends.
The camera’s owner, David J. Slater, agreed to donate 25 percent of future revenue of the images taken by the monkey to charitable organizations that protect Naruto, who lives in the Tangkoko Reserve on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi, and other crested macaques.   From the NYTimes.

So my dog stepped on my phone while it was on the floor,
And took a photo of his butt and tail forevermore.
PETA heard about it and began a dogged campaign
To make me pay cash dividends to my own darn Great Dane!

My dog and I, at loggerheads, were taken into court,
Where lawyers learned that ‘housebreaking’ was not a simple tort.
My pooch laid evidence before the jury that was strong;
The janitor was summoned by the judge’s wrathful song!

I was fined for littering, and ordered to give cause
Why I should not put hard cash into my dog’s front paws.
I pled nolo contendere; the jury disagreed --

So now I’m on a chain gang clearing ditches of pokeweed!

No comments:

Post a Comment