Saturday, April 18, 2020

Photo Essay: Postcards from my Kids. Volume One.


Amy filed for divorce back in 1994. Nobody seems to care that it was she who filed, not me. I never wanted a divorce. But I'll let that issue alone.
I wrote over a thousand letters to our eight children during the next ten years -- since email was not an option for either them or me. During that time I lived in Minnesota, Iowa, Oklahoma, Mexico, and Thailand.
Each time I sent one of my kids a letter I would usually enclose a self addressed stamped postcard so they could reply. And they often did. I've managed to save quite a few of them, and so I present them here with a running commentary. Feel free to chime in with your own opinions and observations. It's a free country . . . although it seems to be isolated and dying at the moment.
I include photos of both the front and back. I think it's interesting that some of them addressed their postcards to 'Dad' while others addressed them to 'Tim Torkildson.' Most of them were written in pencil, and have begun to fade and smudge badly, so I wanted to make sure to get them digitized for posterity. I'm hoping the grand kids will take an interest in these. How their parents wrote and what they said when they were kids . . . 












***************************

An email response to the above:


Bruce Young

7:54 AM (50 minutes ago)
to me

A nice beginning to your projected series, of historic, personal, and human importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment