Thursday, April 30, 2020

Photo Essay: Postcards from my Kids. "Man this week is sweet."


I only had two of my kids go on missions; Adam and Daisy. Adam seems really stoked in his postcard to me. He's baptizing a family of five -- and if you know anything at all about the Church you know that they want to bring in families by the carload, although they're happy enough to accept singles. But let's be honest (not Christian necessarily, but honest nevertheless), single Church members, old and young, take a lot more of the time and resources of the Church than does a stable family. Before my mission and before I got married, I was running off to my bishop or branch president all the time with one thing or another. I thought of my home teachers as kibbitzers, nothing more. After my divorce, when I was single again, I was huddled with my bishop all the time -- sometimes by my request, but mostly by his request. I discovered that a divorced man is often treated like a pariah in Church social circles, and is still discriminated against for certain Church callings. Does that bother me? Not anymore: Zen, baby, I practice Zen. It's all cool beans . . . 











No comments:

Post a Comment