Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Photo Essay: Postcards from my Kids. Volume Four

Sarah asks me to come visit them in Utah for Christmas. Stephen is all wrapped up in high school basketball.

Amy took the kids to live with her sister Kathy, who encouraged her to file for a divorce. Then her sister rented a farm for Amy and the kids to live on -- but took it away from Amy a year later, and they wound up living in a trashy house in the middle of a weedy derelict field. A single mother, jobless, with eight kids. When she told me she was going to change their last name back to Anderson I made her sign a notarized document absolving me from paying any child support before I would sign the divorce papers. Turns out my document had no legal standing.
I find that after all these years I'm still looking for villains to blame for those terrible events and melancholy years of alternating despair and rage. The only person I have a right to villify is me.
Poor Stephen. He wanted a basketball scholarship, but in his senior year he injured his ankle and it was never attended to properly, so he lost his chance at professional basketball. I think he still mourns for that lost opportunity. I often pray that he will find a better substitute -- just as I did when I couldn't do physical comedy anymore because of my arthritis, but was blessed instead to be able to make people laugh with my light verse. 







No comments:

Post a Comment