Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Narrative Poem: The Rock

 



It was 'Adopt a Rock' Week in town.

So I found an orphaned rock, with no

mountain to nourish it.

And took it home.

At first the rock was shy and frightened.

It wouldn't talk to me or eat anything.

But little by little I got it to open up, to

tell me its

name.

Heathcliff.

I nicknamed it 'Cliffy.'

I sent Cliffy to St. John's Military School

in Kansas.

But it was dismissed for medical reasons.

It was hard of hearing.

So I took Cliffy into the family transport business.

It worked as ballast in one of our ships.

But sailors are a rough bunch,

and Cliffy took after their hard ways.

Between trips it holed up in the local gravel pit.

When I tried to remonstrate with it,

it pulled a chisel on me.

Now we don't talk to each other anymore.

Sad.

Next time, I'll adopt a sandbag.





No comments:

Post a Comment