Sunday, July 8, 2018

An Email to my Minneapolis Freind Jim

This is me nowadays


Hey there, Jim;

It’s always good to hear from you.
Sounds like your daughter-in-law is making the beau coup bucks with her writing. Congrats. Were that I could pick up a few piastres with my scribblings. The only money I make writing is ghosting articles for my son Adam to place in Forbes and Huffington Post. It galls me to see my work under another person’s name, but the money is too good to give up. It’s the funds I use to take my kids out to eat once in a while. I read someplace, I don’t remember where, that eating out creates some of the pleasantest and longest lasting family memories. I think it was a NYT article -- or maybe even an Ensign piece. My memory is sadly decayed these days.

I won’t even begin on my health nowadays. Rashes. Dispepsia. Lack of focus. Insomnia. Shortness of breath. Ad infinitum. The best plan is just to roll with the punches, I guess. Thank goodness my Medicare kicks in this coming September.

I will mention that lately I have an inexplicable craving for tuna fish. In fact, I’m having it for breakfast this morning. I drained a can, put it in a bowl, and added all sorts of exotic things to it -- lemongrass, shrimp paste, lime juice, Tabasco sauce, and dill pickle relish. I’m letting it marinate a bit and then will have it with buttered toast. My mouth is watering as I write about it!

I have received many kind words from journalists from my NYT profile -- and one sour note. Dan Kelly, who for many years edited my poetry for the St Paul Pioneer Press, and who I truly can call a mentor, was very put out that he was not mentioned in the NYT article. He has even complained about it on his blog! There’s nothing I can do about it. I mentioned him many times during my interview with the NYT reporter, but she chose not to include his name in the final posting.

You and Joanne seem to like to roam around like vagabonds, visiting family and friends. I, on the other hand, have not been any further than Salt Lake City for the past four years. And that was a stretch for me. I tire and bore easily when on the road; give me my recliner and a good book or Netflix movie at home and I’m as happy as a clam. The downside is that I’m certainly spending too much time by myself -- although I almost never feel lonely or abandoned or anything like it, I have noticed I’m talking to myself more often. I go out early every morning to the Provo Rec Center for an aquatic aerobics class, where I have made some new friends that I’ve had over for some Thai dinners. But otherwise I’m holed up in my snug little apartment, avoiding the heat and sun, writing and reading to my heart’s content. I’m not a shut-in by any means, but I’m certainly turning into a hermit!

Well, I can smell that marinated tuna fish just waiting for me. Better go and demolish it before it stinks up the apartment too much.

Yer pal,  Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment