Sunday, April 28, 2019

Movies aren't getting better, they're just getting longer

It has been decades since American movie theaters regularly had intermissions. But when word of the latest Avengers film’s length got out earlier this year, it prompted online pleas from some fans for a break in the action. The filmmakers shot the idea down, and American theater chains have publicly responded to tweets from moviegoers to make clear that, no, there will be no built-in moment to buy or dispose of their Coca-Colas.
NYT

Movie going has become a challenge nowadays.
The films are getting longer and my eyes begin to glaze.
My foot's asleep, I gotta go, the popcorn is all gone;
but the movie isn't ending until close to dawn.

Dare I miss five minutes while I take a bathroom break?
Will a plot point be resolved while water I do make?
Though it's loud and violent, my head begins to nod.
I feel like an Avenger who's been beaten by a rod!

If Hollywood won't give me intermissions as a sop,
I hope their next big opus is a terrifying flop.
I will stay at home with Netflix or the old YouTube,
enjoying my own breathers instead of chewing on jujube.


No comments:

Post a Comment