Sunday, April 14, 2019

I only know what algorithms tell me




The algorithms that power Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube have a disproportionate control over our lives. And while there are certain controls that allow us to tweak what we see when we’re on these massively popular networks, there’s no real escape.
WSJ


I accidentally clicked an ad
for hotel spots in Trinidad.
So right away I hit delete,
then went to post my latest tweet.

But algorithms now awoke
and my news feed became a joke:
New recipes for Planters Punch
and having conch stew for my lunch --

I didn't read of Tiger's win
or of the Trumpster's latest sin.
Instead I got how very close
Trinidad's to Barbados.

Bargain airfares now appeared
and advice was volunteered
on the cheapest getaway
all around Montego Bay.

I tried to let my Facebook page
know that I was in quite a rage,
and fiddled with my Instagram --
but they gave not a tinker's dam.

Nothing I could do or post
could rid me of this awful ghost.
And so from now on I'll be seein'
nothing but the Caribbean . . . 



No comments:

Post a Comment