Saturday, May 11, 2019

A Lucky Son of a Gun





A bill to gradually raise the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2024, authored by House Education and Labor Committee Chairman Bobby Scott (D., Va.), has been hovering just short of the votes needed to pass the Democratic-led House of Representatives, where it faces resistance from some lawmakers from regions where wages and the cost of living are generally lower.
WSJ

I worked one summer as a kid
knocking apart metal shelves
in a book store
that was closing

the white rubber mallet
made a dull chime on the 
silver rods
as my hands began to ache
for a dollar-fifty an hour

that was good money in those days
I lived at home
spent nothing
and put it all in
the Farmers and Mechanics Savings Bank.

if I had fifteen dollars in my pocket
today
I'd blow it on a six pack
of root beer and
a gallon of vanilla 
ice cream
and live off of root beer floats
thinking myself a lucky 
son of a gun

No comments:

Post a Comment