Friday, August 20, 2021

Prose Poem: Babbling Bat Pups.

 

The author, with bats in his belfry.


The babbling bat pups really got to me;
I mean, all night long they babble out on
the eaves next to my bedroom window.
So I finally contacted the Biden administration.
*
I emailed the undersecretary of defenestration.
He referred me to the Department of Windows.
Who, in turn, asked for my social security number
then asked me to open a bank account in Nigeria.
*
And still the bat pups babbled.
It sounded similar to Pushtu. 
I moved my bed into the garage;
but the babbling bat pups were there
ahead of me.
*
They dropped things on me:
Monkey wrenches.
Moldy yarn.
Cans of Bardahl motor oil.
*
Finally the Department of Windows
got back to me.
They had deposited fifty-thousand
dollars in my Nigerian bank account
and said I should hire an 
exterminator.
*
But there are no bat exterminators
in Nigeria. 
*
I began babbling back 
at the bat pups.
They liked that
and stopped dropping
monkey wrenches.
*
Now they study my eating habits
and I study their speech patterns
and together we have started an
LLC to monetize the lice
in their fur.
*
This is what makes America
so great in the trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment