Monday, August 16, 2021

Prose Poem: A Nest of Butterflies.

 

Tim Torkildson; Integrated since 1993.


I discovered a nest of butterflies
outside the city limits of Bemidji
Minnesota about a month ago.
I and my research assistant,
Abner Doublefield,
were looking for a suitable
gnat sanctuary for the new state park
when we stumbled across the nest 
in the branches of a weeping willow
next to a morose seep in a cow
pasture.
When I reported my findings to
the State Board of Butterflies
they sent me a letter refuting my
claims and disinheriting me from 
my grandfather's estate.
Even though I had photographs --
taken by my assistant,
Abner Doublefield.
But it all makes so much sense;
during windy days butterflies
cannot be airborne --
they have to have someplace to
hang their hat
figuratively speaking,
and a nest would be the natural
place to do it.
But I can't get anyone to listen to me.
Even my assistant,
Abner Doublefield,
now claims there was no
butterfly nest --
it was just a shredded 
plastic bag he took photographs of
under the duress of losing
his job if he did not back me up.
But at least the state accepted my
recommendation on the gnat sanctuary --
if there are really such things as gnats
in the first place.
How can anything so small actually have
enough intelligence and coordination to
fly? 
And what do they do on windy days?
They have no nests
and must rely on 
a higher power to protect them --
like Superman.


No comments:

Post a Comment