Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Prose Poem: I lived on a boat in the desert.

 



I lived on a boat in the desert.

It hadn't always been desert;

once it had been sand.

Now it was the space in between

grains of sand.

*

I drew cartoons.

Of puppies and kittens.

Someone in the Ukraine

paid me millions for my work --

I never knew what he did with it.

*

One day a moth came to rest

on my deck.

It looked weary,

so I gave it some water

and a hot cross bun.

*

Then before my startled eyes

it turned into a beautiful girl

with eyes the color of tin foil.

"For your kindness" she said,

"You may have any kind of 

5G network plan you like."

*

I thanked her, then jumped ship.

Her offer was not to my liking.

There would be strings attached,

and I'd probably have to kiss a 

horned toad somewhere along the line.

*

My new home is 

a charcoal burner's hut

by the sea.

*

I still draw kittens and puppies.

But now I donate my work to 

the NRA and NASCAR.

Loose canons and fast cars

taste like thunder to me.

*

But if nothing better comes along,

I'll go back to my moth girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment