Thursday, August 12, 2021

Prose Poem: Your $4.39 Latte From the Local Roaster Could Soon Cost More. (Coral Murphy Marcos, for the NYT.)

 

The author, in a deep funk.


If an addiction isn't expensive,
what's the fun of it?
That's why I love paying 
one hundred dollars
for a cup of coffee.
Didn't used to be that way.
For a few measly dollars
you could get a good cup
of coffee at any coffee shop.
But now that coffee beans are
worth their weight in gold
and baristas wallow in wealth --
well, a cup of coffee is the
ne plus ultra of the jet set addict.
To feed my appetite
I roll drunks
rob banks
embezzle funds
sell my own organs
resort to blackmail
vote Republican
and print my own money.
I've lost my family
my home
my job
my self respect
and my memory.
I don't have a name
or country of origin
anymore.
All I have is that warm
swirling black brew
in a cheap paper cup
and a barista supplier
who lets me lick her
apron.




No comments:

Post a Comment