Monday, September 24, 2018

A Message from My Missionary Daughter in California



Hello Friends and Family!!!

Today will be a short message because I've inevitably run out of time, but it's been a wonderful week! 
We had interviews with our Mission President, President Clark and his wife Sister Clark. I can't say enough good things about the both of them! They are always generous, kind, understanding, loving, compassionate, and encouraging in the best way possible! We are so privileged to have them here overseeing us missionaries. Whenever I have questions they are always able to answer them. 
This week I learned the importance of giving people multiple chances to say "no" when we ask them if they would like to hear what we have to share. As a missionary, you sort of get used to people saying that they aren't interested in hearing the message, so you kind of expect rejection all the time so that it doesn't hurt as much. But really, we should expect people to say yes, because there ARE people who are ready to hear about this beautiful gospel of Jesus Christ. Even though they don't really know what they're saying "no" to, you should still give them more than one chance. The truths we have are too precious, too impactful, too important for us to be content with only offering it to people one time.  If a friend doesn't accept an invitation to come to a church event or hear more, don't be discouraged! You have done your part to extend the invitation, but keep giving them chances to say yes. It will always be worth it, I promise. You never have to force people to come see what we're about, but sometimes all people need is a simple invitation to get the courage to actually learn more. The more genuine your love for others, the more prone they will be to accept your offer, whatever it may be. Never give up on yourself or those you know; the Savior never has and never will. 
One more thing I would like to share: In church yesterday, we sang "Families Can Be Together Forever", a beautiful song that we learn as children,  and I felt the Spirit testify to me of the joy that I will one day have when I can be married in the Temple for all time and eternity. I felt such a profound feeling of love and joy for my family and gratitude for the knowledge that we have that families can be together forever through our Heavenly Father's plan. Even though families are not perfect, they can be made perfect through Jesus Christ. I don't claim to know how everything will work out for everyone and their family situations but I do know that God loves His children and has prepared a way for us to be together for eternity if we do what He has asked us to do. 
I leave you with my testimony of the Savior. He is the Light, the Life, and the Hope of the world. Through Him, all things are possible. He is the reason we are able to have new beginnings and fresh starts and why families can be together forever. There is no other way to our Father, but by Him. I know He lives and loves each one of us. May we all seek to be more like Him each and every day, and we will be happier and more able to help others. I love you all, may God bless you this week and always! 

Love, Sister Torkildson 

No comments:

Post a Comment