Sunday, May 17, 2020

Photo Essay: Postcards from my Kids. Final Volume.



The pandemic has not ended, but governments here and abroad have decided to loosen up isolation regulations so that national economies don't completely collapse. Historians will undoubtedly say our leaders decided to strike a bargain with Death: We'll let you keep killing us with coronavirus while we go back to work and play, pretending this is the best compromise we could come up with.
As I have reviewed these dozens of postcards from my kids, I am struck by how often they simply want to write 'thank you' and 'I love you." I've tried to dig deeper into the meaning of their phrases and messages to me -- but perhaps I, like the ancient Hebrews, have looked past the mark. There is no deep theme or metaphor to these bent and battered pieces of pasteboard from nearly thirty years ago.
And so I end this series of photo essays by giving humble thanks to God that so far during this pandemic my children and their children have been spared serious illness and economic hardship. To me it is a miracle, and a testimony of God's great mercy and loving kindness.











No comments:

Post a Comment