Thursday, May 20, 2021

Prose Poem: The Little Games.

 



Death came for me 

bearing a bag

of Krispy Kreme Donuts.

"That's thoughtful of you"

I told him.

He wore dirty white sneakers,

which took away from

the solemnity of the

whole thing.

"Do I get to play a game

or something first with you

in order to keep my soul?"

I asked him.

Silently he produced

a checkerboard.

I beat him in a dozen moves.

"Another game, perhaps?" 

I asked him politely.

He handed me a deck

of Uno cards.

His mistake:

I played Uno with my

family every Monday

night for nearly twenty years.

The cards kept slipping

through his bony fingers,

slowing him up considerably.

We had finished the donuts

and I was thirsty.

He ate most of them,

by the way.

"How about a drink of milk

before the next game?"

I asked.

He gave me a tepid glass

of buttermilk.

That's when I discovered

 Death is a sore loser.


No comments:

Post a Comment