Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Prose Poem: We Never Know.

 



My neighbor Tom got very rich

selling a non-fungible token.

He bought me a string of sandalwood

meditation beads,

and then moved to Flathead Lake

in Montana,

where he built a huge log cabin.

He let me buy his old place for a song,

and I was happy to get it;

my house needed a new roof and

all the downstairs windows replaced.

Tom's place was in very good repair,

and nearly a third larger.

When I  moved in I found a trapdoor

down in the basement laundry room.

It was sealed shut, so I put a rug over

it and forgot about it.

Years later, after I had moved 

into one of the first terrariums

designed for humans on the Moon,

the new owners managed to pry open

the trapdoor to discover a complete set

of Maryknoll magazines from 1933 to

1969. In mint condition.

They weren't worth anything,

really.

But it just goes to show

that we never know,

do we?

No comments:

Post a Comment