Thursday, January 20, 2022

Letter to my kids. Thursday Jan 20 2022.

 Dear Tykes;


I start out with a thought I had this morning –

I’d like to sneak up to as many hand sanitizer dispensers as possible and replace the goo inside with Super Glue. Then see what happens. 


Next, I have an idea for a new placard to take to the streets when the weather warms up –


Optimist For Hire.

($1000.00 per hour.)


All I need is one taker . . . 


Now I better write a haiku for your mother:


Blending blueberries –

Her hair in a ponytail;

I will sip her lips. 


Now I’m going to go collect on that haiku . . . 



(Your mom says she won’t post it on her Facebook page, because “it’s too sexy!”)



*************************************************


And now for the clown news.  I assume you all know who David Arquette is. I don’t, but then I’m not in touch with reality for long portions of each day. Anywho – he wants to become a clown. And I quote:


David Arquette is not clowning around when it comes to becoming a professional clown.

In an appearance on the Live with Kelly and Ryan show Wednesday, the 50-year-old actor talked about his love for clowns and his long journey to becoming one.

"I love clowns. I've been in sort of a clown period of my life. I'm studying to be a clown and I'm working with an amazing organization called Healthy Humor. They go into hospitals and entertain people who are going through a tough time and make them smile and bring some joy and love and laughter into their lives," Arquette told host Kelly Ripa.

"I'm a huge fan of Bozo the clown. I personally am studying to be a clown myself. I have been taking lessons. It takes a lot of training. You know I've never been able to juggle, but my father taught me a nose flute, and this is what I can do as my clown thing," said Arquette while demonstrating how to use the nose flute.

Do you guys remember I used to play the nose flute? I even bought them for some of you. I may have to get some for the grandkids; I can buy a set of twelve plastic nose flutes on Amazon for ten bucks. Of course, if you parents give me TWENTY bucks NOT to buy them for your darling children . . . 

And in just plain circus news, I felt very excited to read this in the newspaper the other day:

SARASOTA, Fla. – The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, which shut down in 2017 after a storied 146-year run of three-ring entertainment around the world, could be making a comeback.   Officials from Florida-based Feld Entertainment, which owns the circus operation, said during a recent panel discussion that a new version of the circus without animals is expected to make its debut in 2023.  Many observers believe that animal rights protests targeting Ringling Bros. contributed to a decline in ticket sales that led the company to cease operations. It grew famous on the strength of animal trainers like Gunther Gebel-Williams, among others, working with lions and tigers. The company dropped elephants from its shows in 2016 and said at the time that ticket sales declined more than expected.  In 2023 we will be relaunching Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus,” Feld’s chief operating officer Juliette Feld Grossman told the VenuesNow Conference in Seattle last week, according to a report published by venuesnow.com.

According to the report, Grossman got choked up as she spoke. “You can see it’s emotional and exciting for us as a family. We really feel that Ringling Bros. has incredible relevance to today’s audience.”

Nicole Zimmerman, a Feld spokeswoman, said the company is “still in the planning phase for the relaunch of the Greatest Show on Earth” and an official announcement about the return of the circus is expected sometime in 2022.

Ah, the old tanbark trail! Naturally, I now daydream about hobbling back into center ring with my musical saw and my can pyramid. I know it’s probably a pipe dream, but, hey – so was marrying your mother again!  If that can happen, anything can happen. If Ringling does come back, I guess I could do what’s called ‘carpet clowning’ or ‘meet and greet.’  That’s where the clown just stands still to shake hands, signs autographs, and have his picture taken. Or makes animal balloons, etc.  I could still manage to do that, because it’s not too physically taxing. How do you think your mother would react to life on the road 9 months of the year? I just asked her and she said “Where my husband goes, I go.”  She was remembering our time in Bottineau, North Dakota, back in 1981, when the local newspaper asked her about our plans to leave the place to move to Circus World in Haines City Florida.

What a disaster THAT turned out to be!  I’m sure I’ve told you about it before; your mother had a miscarriage, I got fired, and we moved back to North Dakota to live in the Little House in back of your mother’s parents’ house. A definite low point in the Torkildson family chronicles.

 

But why dwell on the past? Today is beautiful. We went swimming this morning. I baked Irish soda bread. We made a chicken/rice casserole that is to die for. The sun is out, for once. And both your mother and I are in fairly good health. God is good to us. I hope he is as good to you little moppets.

Roses are red/violets reek/may your sorrows flee/to far Mozambique!

Love,

Heinie Manush.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment