Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Alone





Research suggests that those who are isolated are at an increased risk of depression, cognitive decline and dementia, and that social relationships influence their blood pressure and immune functioning, as well as whether people take their medications.
Loneliness and isolation are bad for your health at any age, but the forces that take hold late in life often compound it. Retirement shrivels social networks formed through work. Hearing loss and worsening mobility impede talking face-to-face and participating in group activities.
by Janet Adamy & Paul Overberg for the WSJ
The children forget to call.
The mail is a pile of bills.
It looks like no sun today.
Have I taken all of my pills?

Can't stand the radio on.
Silence is kind on my ears.
Why should I shave the old face?
There sure won't be any sightseers.

Ramen tastes good with an egg.
 Milk gives me way too much gas.
TracFone has ten minutes left.
Should I take a free online class?

Time to recline in my chair.
Can't pretend I am downcast.
Best friend I've had of them all --
alone with my Kindle at last! 

No comments:

Post a Comment