Friday, December 7, 2018

Apparently, Hosting the Oscars is a Career Killer -- Too Discouraged to Look for Work -- And You Thought Roller Derbies Were Just a Sitcom Cliche --



Jimmy Kimmel, who hosted the past two years, did not want to do it again, according to this source, in part because he was told the academy did not think the everyman-type comedy he did on the show — including surprising people at a nearby movie theater by showing up with Gal Gadot, Mark Hamill and other stars and handing out snacks — was prestigious enough for the broadcast.   by Josh Rottenberg for the LATimes.

Who will host the Oscars; it's a death knell for careers.
Comedians who do it are berated by their peers.
The prestige is tremendous but the burden is immense;
it's driven men and women to go live in goat hair tents.
Perhaps an algorithm from the Google people might
do the trick -- Alexa does not suffer from mike fright.

*************************

. . . workers too discouraged to search for a job . . . ticked up to 7.6 percent in November . . . 
by Patricia Cohen for the NYT  

I've given up the search for work; rejection makes me blue.
That cardboard box with dumpster near has got a pleasant view.
Maybe I'm an addict or a victim of divorce;
whatever caused my 'liberty' is now a major force.
The wind is always cold upon my back and I'm ashamed
to wear this MAGA cap because I think I have been framed.
I'd rather search for meaning than employment anytime;
how about a dollar, pal -- okay, I'll take a dime . . . 

************************************
Roller derby dates to the 1930s in the U.S., and eventually all-female teams found an American audience in much of the past century. A renaissance of the sport surfaced in Austin, Texas, during the early 2000s.   by Nina Adam for the WSJ.
An evening watching women skate
around a rink in armor plate
and shoving with demented glee
is not the ideal date for me.
A Caspar Milquetoast, I confess;
such brute force causes me distress.
I'd rather stroll in gardens sweet
than view grim females in dead heat.
But I could use 'em, I admit,
when on the subway I would sit.
They'd clear a path and gladly beat
those bums who always take my seat!

****************************




No comments:

Post a Comment