Thursday, December 13, 2018

Chinese Students and their Fancy Cars -- The Price of Avocados -- Have You Moved Your Elf Yet? -- Santa Claus is Coming Apart



“Chinese international students are seen as a monolith,” said Yichen Li, an honors art major raised in Beijing who has heard classmates say negative things about rich Chinese students with their fancy cars.
by Teresa Watanabe for the LATimes
When fancy cars are driven by someone who is not me
I tend to treat them with a cranky animosity.
The rich and carefree youngsters that this world is full of, Jack,
set my dentures clacking and put me on full attack.
It isn't that I'm jealous of their opulent lifestyle;
it's just that I'm expecting pretty soon to be senile.
So let 'em drive their sporty cars and breeze through college classes --
money doesn't make a scholar out of young jackasses.
*****************************************
Amazon also asked cities to provide the costs of a “gallon of 2% milk, loaf of whole wheat bread, and an avocado” at a local Whole Foods, the organic grocer that Amazon owns.
by Karen Weise for the NYT
The price of avocados is important to the 
schemes
 of Amazon big cheeses and their monetary dreams.
And moo juice by the gallon is an algorithmic trend
that corporations disregard at peril, my good friend.
When whole wheat bread is pricey, then Millennials will wilt --
and wash away forever like some tide-born murky silt.
This is not footling research nor a whimsical puruit;
without this kind of data modern man is but a brute!

***************************************
Parents must have plausible explanations when they forget to move the elf. Ms. Harris-DiStefano once showed her daughter a letter from the elf saying bad weather kept him from the North Pole.
by Katherine Bindley for the WSJ

Old Santa doesn't need an elf to keep an eye on me;
I'm hooked up to the North Pole with a cam'ra, dontcha see?
He knows when I've been good or bad, and when I brush my teeth --
He knows I'm baking cookies and have trimmed the Christmas wreath.
Of course when I go out the door he cannot spy on me;
unless, perchance, he's got a drone on my trajectory?
He's greedier than Google when it comes to data mining;
I hope the EU brings him down with continuous fining!

*************************

A British Santa Claus made it onto his own naughty list after he reportedly panicked upon hearing a fire alarm, ripped off his fake beard and began “shouting and swearing” at children to evacuate a popular dockside Christmas festival.
by Amy B Wang for the Washington Post


When Santa gets all crazy and is acting like a louse,
I'm very much reminded of the guy in the White House.
Both are mythic figures who adults do not believe;
and both can punish children, though they're small and so naive.
Perhaps this Christmas season down the chimney will be flown
not Santa but instead an INS-maneuvered drone.

********************************


No comments:

Post a Comment