Monday, February 24, 2020

In Venice, even the drug dealers hug. (Prose Poem)




In Venice, even the drug dealers hug.
Jessica Bennett. NYT. 

I always hug a man before I kill him.
Although I haven't killed anybody yet.
I'm still waiting for the right assignment.
You know, one that means the saving
of Western Civilization.
So far, I've only been offered 
a few jobs bumping off meter maids
and assorted in-laws. 
So I wait, and hug people at church,
at community sing-alongs, when I attend funerals,
and so on.
I am always impeccably groomed and discrete
with the Lilac Vegetal,
so very few people object to my 
hugs. Some really enjoy them.
Perhaps if they knew I was an 
embryonic killer, they might 
feel differently.
I was responsibly sourced
by good parents,
but I turned to the bad
at an early age.
The imaginary film noir.
See, I went to school, did my homework,
and became an accountant, with no
hint at a violent side.
Yet I dreamed in film noir.
So one day I simply walked away
from my QuickBooks to look
for bad things to do.
Can I help it if I look reliable
but harmless? 
Honest and substantial work
is all I can find.
Being friendly and helpful to everyone.
One day . . . one day . . . 
I'll be known as the Hugging Hit Man.
Or my name isn't Fred McFeely Rogers.

No comments:

Post a Comment