Sunday, April 9, 2017

I took a student loan out when I was a bright eyed lad

Based on a story from the New York Times


I took a student loan out when I was a bright eyed lad.
I thought I would repay it while I still had time to gad.
But then I got my Masters and discovered ruefully
I’d never hold a steady job without a Ph.D.

And thus I went so deep in debt that bankers got a thrill
When they saw the zeroes lined up on my int’rest bill.
Slaving night and day I fell behind -- oh what a shame!
I lost my house and savings and my credit score is lame.

The government took pity and did promise me relief
But after miles of red tape I have only got more grief.
Don’t hold your breath, ye debtors, and depend on Uncle Sam.
Whatever he may promise he just doesn’t give a damn.  



No comments:

Post a Comment