Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Restaurant Review: Street Tacos!



At the corner of 100 North and 500 West in downtown Provo is a food truck serving street tacos. Only beef. No chicken and no pork. But you get a wide variety of cuts from the cow: there's tongue, head cheese, tripe, heart, liver, calf's foot gelatin, and something called 'underbelly.' I had a regular beef soft taco, a tongue taco, and a head cheese taco. The head cheese was superlative; soft and flavorful. The tongue was good, too -- not tough or stringy. And the regular beef was okay. They just give it to you in small chunks, laying naked in the soft shell taco. I'm too much of a gringo, I guess -- I expect my tacos to be gussied up with lettuce and sauces. The three tacos set me back $5.75, and I was very full when I finished.



They have a wide variety of condiments to put on your tacos. There is no seating -- it is strictly take-away, or eat crouching at the curb (which about a half dozen customers were doing while I got my order.)  Good luck if you want to take some condiments away with you -- the damn plastic lids don't fit the damn plastic cups. I crushed a half dozen cups vainly trying to get them to seal.




The truck is clean and the two guys running it are wide-awake fellows. I give this place my maximum rating -- four burps. I can see myself strolling over on a hot summer day when I don't want to mess in the kitchen for a couple of beef tacos -- it's good value for money. I think I overdid it with 3 tacos. Two tacos will be plenty from now on.



No comments:

Post a Comment