Thursday, August 1, 2019

Can the Joe Biden who’s leading in polls survive Joe Biden the candidate?


the last time I saw Crazy Henry he was a candidate for mayor of Minneapolis. he asked me to work for his campaign as a volunteer, doing polls. "no" I told him. "I have a full time job and besides I don't know anything about polls and I think you running for mayor of anything but Nutty Town is a waste of time."
he shook my hand fervently and said "thanks for your endorsement. the polls show I'm leading by a ten percent margin over my opponents, and fifteen percent over the gashouse gang." 
for the next five weeks Crazy Henry would call me late at night to ask how his polls were doing.
"I keep telling you I'm not involved in your dumb campaign!" I always shouted back at him. "leave me alone and let me get some sleep. I've got to work in the morning."
"that's just what I wanted to hear" he always replied. "keep up the good work, soldier, and I'll find a post for you in my kitchen cabinet."
Finally one night he called to say that the polls were showing that the election was not for 2 more years, so he was going to ride his Segway to Graceland for a brief vacation. "you know what you can do with your poll . . . " I began to tell him, but by then he'd hung up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment