Saturday, August 31, 2019

The police pumped blue-dyed water into knots of protesters, starkly marking them to make it easier for officers to make arrests.



When I went over to Crazy Henry's apartment this morning he opened the door and threw a cup of green paint on my shirt.
"What the hell did you do that for?" I asked him, exasperated beyond measure. "Is this oil based paint? How am I ever gonna get this out of my good cotton shirt? You birdbrain!" I was hot. Nearly foaming at the mouth. Crazy Henry just stood there, smiling serenely.
"Don't worry, friend" he said. "Green is the color of friendship and serenity, and I had to color code you as my friend with this indelible green paint as a sign of my affection and friendship."
"Funny way of showing you like me" I muttered darkly as I went into his kitchen to see if I could get some of the paint stain off. It proved impossible. 
"What's the meaning of all this . . . this color coding nonsense?" I demanded of him, after he gave me some fudge brownies and a glass of milk to calm me down.
"It's as simple as falling off a log" he said patiently. "I'm color coding every person I meet from now on. I got the idea from my pen pal Kim Jong Un; he's doing it to everybody in his country, and I thought it was a great idea to practice here."
"You mean the guy that sent you the sack of gold ingots?" I asked, suddenly forgetting my grudge against Crazy Henry. He had really gotten a burlap sack full of gold ingots from Jong the Strong. Crazy Henry and I had used the gold to go on some pretty hilarious adventures. 
"He send you any more gold ingots?" I asked hopefully.
"No" said Crazy Henry. "He sent me these little cans of paint to splash on people. There's red, yellow, green, and blue. I'm gonna go out right now and start color coding people in the neighborhood. Wanna come along?" 
This is not a good idea, warned my common sense; but before I could give it any thought I blurted out "Okay, let's make like a tree and leave!"
So Crazy Henry started color coding everyone he met that day. Green was for personal friends. Red was for strangers. He splashed yellow on every child he met. And the blue was reserved for Hollywood celebrities -- of which there were quite a few wandering around the neighborhood. Crazy Henry painted Arnold Schwarzenegger blue; he painted Tom Hanks blue; he got Jack Nicholson to agree to let his nose be painted blue. He painted the backside of Kirsten Dunst blue, and Mindy Caling got a blue dot on her forehead. 
"How is it possible these big time stars are here all of a sudden" I finally asked, bewildered.
"Oh, Jong the Strong told them all to be here today so I could paint them" replied Crazy Henry nonchalantly. "He's always doing nice things like that for me."
Crazy Henry did not get arrested that day -- which is what disturbs me even more than Tom Hanks asking me for bus fare to the train station. I'm becoming more and more convinced that Crazy Henry has figured out a way to pull apart reality and then reassemble it according to his own world view. He's turning into that kid on the old Twilight episode who could wish for anything to happen and it did. I expect to wake up any day now as a jack-in-the-box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment