Tuesday, August 6, 2019

‘The headline was bad’: New York Times amends front page on Trump’s response to mass shootings after backlash (WaPo)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/08/06/new-york-times-headline-trump-backlash/


"so the headline was bad" I explained to Crazy Henry this morning as we lounged about his place. Full of myself, I continued: "of course there's no problem with changing a headline digitally -- simple as falling off a log. but the print edition can't be changed at all. once it's printed it's printed."
"hey" said Crazy Henry, "let's go get some real newspapers to read this morning. down at that news stand on East Hennepin; you know, it's painted green and they sell dirty magazines too."
"oh, Schwindlers you mean." I said. "I thought it was Schneiders" said Crazy Henry. "no, it's something like Shriners" I replied. "I haven't read a real newspaper in years. let's get a half dozen newspapers." "and some dirty magazines" said Crazy Henry. "shut up" I reminded him.
We got the papers and sat around at Crazy Henry's rustling newsprint and feeling pretty important and well informed. I did the crossword; Crazy Henry looked at the box scores for his favorite teams. Then he started rolling individual pages around his arms and legs and body, keeping them in place with rubber bands.
"what in the Sam Hill are you doing?" I finally asked in exasperation.
"I get all wrapped up in the news" he said.  

No comments:

Post a Comment