Sunday, August 4, 2019

Close the Curtain on ‘Miss Saigon’ (NYT)



a touch. that's all.
a smile. just that.
anything else and everything else is so much driftwood; cast up on the shore after drowning. when I drowned I floated and sank, sank and floated, until the shore smiled at me. touched my arm. then I shook myself like a wet dog, and began acting like a wet dog. faithful. trusting. a bit of slobber on her cheek. I was the submissive one. so pliable I was turned inside out, with my sleeve on my heart. from driftwood to dog. from dog to demi-bank. so I rented a bungalow with a fishpond and papaya trees. the sun came up on tilapia jumping over snails and little boys weeding orchids. when the smoke of burning rice fields finally cleared she was gone. and my visa expired. I went back to drowning, being pale and waterlogged.   
a touch, just that.
a smile, that's all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment