Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Prose Poem: The Camera Moved.

 



The camera shifted,

so everyone moved to the left.

"C'mon, Uncle Joe" I said,

"get in closer."

I smelled sandalwood

and then the wind picked up,

stirring up a haze around us.

"Wait a minute, folks" I told everyone.

A baby started crying.

There was a marching band

somewhere down the street.

I put my right hand on 

Jennie's shoulder.

She didn't shrug it off.

And the wind died down.

"Don't look directly at the camera"

I entreated everyone.

"Look slightly to the left."

"We should have hired

a professional photographer"

said Grandma Rose.

But I had forgiven her

for this, and for many other things,

a long time ago.

The wind picked up again

and just before it started to 

rain

the chartered bus arrived.

Family members scattered

down the steps

like so many slinkies --

but I took the picture anyways.

Then got on the bus to face 

 egg salad and Jennie sitting

next to a stranger named Mike.


No comments:

Post a Comment