Sunday, December 19, 2021

Today's Timerick: In Amsterdam, a community of floating homes shows the world how to live alongside nature

 


O if I could live upon a boat

and on the water gently float,

I'd be as happy as a clam

in Angkor Wat or Amsterdam.


The vapors blowing on my face

would all my cares quite soon erase.

With kelp and duckweed I'd consort,

and seining eels would be good sport.


Yes, I would wear a skipper's cap,

while studying an ocean map.

No mortgage would I pay the bank;

I'd force those guys to walk the plank!


My crew would be a salty bunch,

who never heard of soap or brunch.

They'd swab the deck and hoist a mizzin,

and to me they would have to listen.


I'd fish all day and dance with squid,

and know just what was meant by 'fid.'

Environmentally, you know,

I'd strike a green-flecked counter-blow!


A boat, a ship, a barge, a raft -- 

if I could have just any craft

that kept me off of terra firma

there'd be a glow upon my derma.

And like Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

I'd feel that I was suzerain!

No comments:

Post a Comment