Friday, March 31, 2017

The Clown and the Congressman



As the years piled up, the determination to shake off my self-imposed exile from Ringling Brothers started to become an unhealthy obsession. There were many other shows I could, and did, perform with. But I couldn’t get Ringling out of my mind for long. And at this point, being in my forties -- they were no longer interested in rehiring me. This mania led me down some strange paths.

None more stranger, perhaps, than my constant attempts to get my Congressman to intercede on my behalf. I figured since, at the time, the Ringling headquarters were over by Washington DC it just made sense to have my representative go to bat for me. Naturally, my letters went unanswered -- they all went into that vast circular file that lawmakers keep handy for communications from their crackpot constituents.

Until, that is, I sent a note to Senator Rudy Boschwitz -- the ‘Plywood King’ of Minnesota. I really did not expect to hear anything back from him -- I was just writing out of habit, more by rote than by hope. But, in a letter dated April 5, 1990, Senator Boschwitz detailed his attempts to help me out. Here is the entire text of that amazing letter:

Dear Tim;

Enclosed is a response to the inquiry I made on your behalf from the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus.
I sincerely regret the agency response could not be more favorable. If you feel there is something further which I can properly do to be of assistance in this or in any other matter, please let me know.

Sincerely, Rudy Boschwitz.


Good old Rudy . . . Is there a United States Senator today who would put himself or herself out like this for an obscure and obviously bonkers constituent? I doubt it.

The ‘response’ that Senator Boschwitz refers to came from Kenny Feld, Irvin Feld’s son, who was then running the show. It is dated March 8, 1990. Here it is in full:

Dear Senator Boschwitz;

I am in receipt of your letter dated February 28, 1990. Your File #005710012, regarding the possibility of rehring Tim Torkildson as a clown with Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. There is never an age limit put on any of the people we hire as long as they can do the job.
Mr. Torkildson left the show and throughout the years has bad-mouthed our organization and operation. I know he has contacted many of our people and I’m sure has had an answer, even if it was not in writing.
At this time I do not have a position for Mr. Torkildson but I wish him well in whatever he pursues.

Sincerely, Kenneth Feld.


Senator Boschwitz did me a huge favor by getting Ringling Brothers to officially state my status with them -- persona non grata. Kenny’s letter finally freed me from my fixation with Ringling, and I began casting about in earnest for other venues where I could put my peculiar talents to use.


No comments:

Post a Comment