Friday, March 24, 2017

The Short Tempered Chef Makes Lamb Curry



So I was asking around at the Provo Rec Center this morning as the water aerobics instructor vainly pleaded with us to shut up and start exercising, what’s a good dish you can make with lamb? First suggestion was lamb curry -- and by golly, that’s what I’m making today. I’ve never made it before, but I reckon if I throw the right stuff together it’ll turn out okey dokey. Isn’t that how most great cooking is done?


So I got a pound of cubed lamb, a white onion, some celery stalks, a carrot (more for the color than anything else) and I’ll swish it all together in the wok with some sesame seed oil, then add a can of Thai green curry paste and a can of coconut milk, and serve the whole shebang over angel hair pasta. Me and rice noodles just don’t get along that well.

The big question is the cubed lamb is labeled ‘lamb for stew,’ so does that mean I have to simmer it a while or can I just wok it up over high heat and it’ll be ready to eat? My feet are killing me this morning (I’m wearing a pair of Nike sneakers that are 3 years old -- the soles look like black shredded seaweed -- there’s absolutely no support left, but hey, you can still see the brand name!) I think I’ll just quick cook it and take my chances on rubbery lamb . . . .






Dammit, I just realized I didn’t buy any Major Grey’s Chutney! I doubt that Market Place has any, and besides, my feet are still killing me. Right now I wouldn’t walk a block to see the Pope ride a bicycle.


The lamb was not tough, but the next time I buy that kind at Smith’s I’ll take a minute to cut each cube in half -- they were enormous. This was a very good meal -- a little underspiced, but that was easily fixed with some hot sauce and soy sauce. Now the sad part . . . since I have no one to share it with, I’ll just pack the rest in a freezer bag and hope I remember to use it some day down the road. Ever notice how even the best tasting food isn’t really all that good when you don’t have anyone to share it with? However, since most of my homecooked stuff comes out wretched I don’t get that lonely abandoned feeling too often. Thank goodness.



No comments:

Post a Comment