Wednesday, March 22, 2017

The Short Tempered Chef: Oriental Breakfast Salad.



Fried foods for breakfast -- bleck! I have days when bacon and eggs, with buttered toast, just doesn’t cut the mustard (whatever the hell that means -- I fall into obscure cliches as easy as Trump falls into a Russian bed.)

So this morning I decided that the Short Tempered Chef would tinker with the concept of a hearty salad for breakfast. With an Asian theme. I’m hoping this will turn out well enough so that I can make it when the unpitying heat of a Utah summer returns in a month or two. By ten in the morning my cozy apartment, receiving jagged shards of sunshine coming over the Wasatch range, begins to boil -- even with the air conditioning going full throttle. My appetite wanes as I begin to melt and start to ooze years of lipids stored in my thrifty Norwegian body.

I’m combining bean sprouts, edamame soybeans, hard boiled eggs, candied salmon chunks, scallions, and fried rice noodles. The dressing will be a splash of seasoned rice vinegar, a dash of sesame seed oil, and the squeezin’s of half a lime. And I’ll sip on a cup of Bengal Spice herbal tea. Here goes nothin’!

Well, the individual ingredients were good -- I tasted each one before adding. But the whole was a disappointment. The candied salmon is especially toothsome -- I’ll be using a lot more of THAT in future recipes. The mouthfeel was fine, but it lacked an overall umami -- and there was a residual hint of bitterness. The bean sprouts, I think. It could have really used some sliced ginger and fish sauce. As well as some heat from a chili pepper or two. I won’t be repeating this breakfast experiment again. I think I’ll stick to good old bagel & lox for summer morning meals.


No comments:

Post a Comment